There are many myths out there about men's hair. Some of the rumours developed over time can actually cause damage to the hair and scalp. At the end of the day, going grey or going bald is a naturally bodily process. Whilst there are certain things we can do to slow the process of ageing, in the end, it's all about how we style it out and embrace it with confidence that counts.
In order to understand your hair, let's understand what is true and what is false when it comes to men's hair.
MYTHS ABOUT MEN'S HAIR
Pay no attention to the following rumours:
"hair loss comes from the mothers side" - hair loss genetics come from both sides of the family
"wearing hats can prevent hair loss" - wearing a tight hat can actually reduce blood flow to the scalp which may in some cases reduce the rate of grow
"dandruff is caused by a dry scalp" - whilst dandruff can dry the scalp, dandruff can have a range of difference causes from skin conditions to sensitivity to hair care products
"plucking hairs will make more grow" - only one hair can grow per follicle so if you pluck a grey hair, a new grey hair will grow back in its place
Tip: Less is more when it comes to styling products. Try using half the amount that you usually use today. “One of the biggest hair mistakes men make when it comes to styling is using too much product, a little can go a long way and if you use products sparingly you’ll find yourself sporting a more natural look while avoiding a heavy and greasy appearance.” Lachlan Watson, Murdock Barber, London.
THE TRUTH ABOUT MEN'S HAIR
Mens hair generally starts thinning between 30 and 40 years old. It takes quite a bit of hair loss for the effects of balding to become visible. In fact, most men lose about half of the hair on their heads before they notice any sign of balding.
The average person loses between 40 and 150 strands of hair every day, and your hair isn’t actually always growing. While you’ll always have hairs on your head that are growing, only 90% of your hairs are actively growing at any given moment. The other 10% of your hair is taking a break.
You also do not need to shampoo your hair everyday, over washing can cause hair loss and scalp irritation.